Al-Islam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Al-Islam

Being close to Allah, learning to obey him and be good muslims

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Halal Foods?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Paraglox
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2006-02-07

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: Halal Foods?   Halal Foods? EmptyTue 14 Feb à 17:55

Maybe we can discuss this a little bit.

of course we all know that we can't eat pork or blood or things we have found already dead, or things with animal bi-products in them.

I was wondering more about seafood,

I know fish is good but i thought i heard that shark is bad and shrimp and lobster and maybe crab. can anyone fill me in on this. and also add any other things that I might not know that I shouldn't be eating.

Salaamz.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/paraglox  and www.myspace.com/paraglox2 (
Muslimah
Admin
Admin
Muslimah

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-02-01

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halal Foods?   Halal Foods? EmptyWed 15 Feb à 10:52

you know i thought the same thing... however i found out that fish and shrimp are okay... the reason i thought they were bad is like the pig they will eat themselves or other dead animals... scavengers is my theory... however NO where does it say we cant eat shark, shrimp, crab, etc... that i have ever seen cause ifi t does id lose everything i ever eat... id be starving..
Back to top Go down
jeremiah
Ahlan bik
Ahlan bik

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2006-03-13

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halal Foods?   Halal Foods? EmptyMon 13 Mar à 13:59

peace,
i believe sharks are fish without scales, so they would be haraam. shellfish are not supposed to be eaten either.
i know humans do not digest pork properly and it is actually harmful to eat, which is possibly why it is haram. fish without scales and shellfish absorb a lot more toxins from the water which is blocked by the scales. this is why, in areas near oceans, when there is "red tide" there is also an advisory not to eat any shellfish or fish with skin from that area, this may also be why shellfish are not supposed to be eaten.
of course there are differing schools of thought. i took the easy way out and became vegan and do not need to worry about it. :)

wa salaam
Back to top Go down
Muslimah
Admin
Admin
Muslimah

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halal Foods?   Halal Foods? EmptyWed 15 Mar à 10:39

Actually in Quran it speaks nothing against eating shellfish or even hadiths. The only reason we wouldnt want to eat these animals is because they are scavengers like the pig in many ways. however it isnot Haram to eat shrimp, crab, etc...
Back to top Go down
muslim
Ahlan bik
Ahlan bik

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2006-03-15

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: halal foods   Halal Foods? EmptyWed 15 Mar à 14:34

a question that is and should be on every muslim's mind,
all seafood is hala as far I know..with the exception of animals that have the ability to live in the sea and on land ...alah know better...also in terms of meats...as long as the animal has been slaughtered according to shareeaa. :)

alah almueen,
please visit this website for more info:

http://www.eat-halal.com/
http://www.zabihah.com/

salam
Back to top Go down
jeremiah
Ahlan bik
Ahlan bik

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halal Foods?   Halal Foods? EmptyWed 15 Mar à 22:06

Leviticus 11:10-12 "And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which [is] in the waters, they [shall be] an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that [shall be] an abomination unto you."

according to the books of Moses, a prophet of Islam who spoke these words to the children of Israel, certain seafood is forbidden. Israel does not mean Jews in the sense that most perceive it today, it refers to the true followers of Allah. i personally follow all the prophets and their teachings. these laws are given to us because it is for our benefit. it is for our personal benefit not to eat these things. hence the nazarite oath which includes eating no meat is something that brings one "closer" to Allah.

peace and love to all
Back to top Go down
Muslimah
Admin
Admin
Muslimah

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halal Foods?   Halal Foods? EmptyFri 17 Mar à 13:40

can you tell me that hasnt been changed brother? i do not follow the american bible i follow the hebrew bible. and even prophet MUHAMMAD said all animals upon the earth are able to be eaten except swine those that are already dead, those that havent been slaughtered in the name of allah and those containing blood.

in all that it doesnt say shell fish does it???
Back to top Go down
jeremiah
Ahlan bik
Ahlan bik

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halal Foods?   Halal Foods? EmptyFri 17 Mar à 18:34

http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/c/1142644832-7084.html#10
here is a link if you want to read the hebrew, i also prefer the hebrew torah and tanakh as it is typically a better translation. i cannot say it is not changed because the original is not in front of me to review. i do consider it reliable however.
as far as shellfish, it does say whatsoever in the waters that does not have fins and scales will be unclean/an abomination (shellfish have neither fins nor scales.
i am aware muhammad said that we can eat all except those already dead and swine and fanged ones, but islam teaches us to follow all the teachings of all the prophets and seek wisdom where we can find it. there is good reason not to eat shellfish and it is wise not to do so.

peace, love, and compassion
Back to top Go down
Paraglox
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halal Foods?   Halal Foods? EmptySat 18 Mar à 1:44

Allah says if animals sudenley woke up and understood the world they would stop eating and wither out.

in the day to day, the hustle and bustle, we have to be impressed with the amount mohammad fasted as a perfect man. i fear not being perfect. The people I call my friends in the past...i know longer with to adore...the blood made of sweet, the sleeping time left behind........
Back to top Go down
Muslimah
Admin
Admin
Muslimah

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halal Foods?   Halal Foods? EmptyTue 21 Mar à 19:15

technical shell fish such as crabs and shrimp are considered to have fins those things on the back of a shrimp is the tail fin and the crabs legs are considered fins because they can be propelled through the water with them :D
Back to top Go down
Paraglox
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halal Foods?   Halal Foods? EmptyTue 21 Mar à 20:43

Muslimah wrote:
the crabs legs are considered fins because they can be propelled through the water with them :D

this smells a little fishy

i wish this was a clean cut issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Halal Foods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halal Foods?   Halal Foods? Empty

Back to top Go down

Halal Foods?
Page 1 of 1